Saturday, October 22, 2016

Podcast Obsessed

Ever since my husband introduced me to podcasts, I've become more and more obsessed with a variety of podcasts. I'm gonna give a run down of my favorite podcasts here for your enjoyment.

Sorry Not Sorry with Jenna Kim Jones

Jenna Kim Jones is a Comedian in Los Angeles, California, and hosts a bi-weekly hour long podcast with her husband, Allan Moss, also called "Hashtag Al". Her podcast releases Wednesdays and Fridays and includes fun segments such as "Foodie Call", "Today's Win", "Dear Jenna", and "Hopes and Dreams". Jenna and Al are Mormon and just had their first baby earlier this year. They're such a sweet, down to earth family, you can't help but love them.  Each podcast begins with some light hearted banter between the two and makes you feel like you're just hanging out with a couple of your best friends.

Alison Rosen is Your New Best Friend

Alison Rosen hosts 2 weekly shows; a Monday show and a Thursday show all from "Dining Room Studios" in her home in Los Angeles. Her Monday shows feature a new celebrity guest every week and her Thursday shows include Alison's husband Daniel Quantz, Jenna Kim Jones, Allan Moss, (of Sorry not Sorry) and Greg Heller. The Thursday shows are the highlight of my podcast week as this show includes so many fun segments such as "TV time", "Snack Chat", "Just me or everyone?", and live readings from each of the guests' young adult journals. This podcast is the primary reason I'll be snickering, or laughing out loud to myself at work.

NPR Politics Podcast

I started listening to the NPR Politics Podcast during the primaries of this election year. I did not care much about politics before I started listening to this podcast, but now I feel a lot more informed and engaged in our political process. The Podcast crew consists of Sam Sanders, Tamara Keith, Scott Detrow, and Domenico Montanaro, all politics reporters for NPR. They bring you the inside scoop even if you missed the debates, or the news. They also bring the right amount of humor to the podcast to keep you engaged. Lately they've been answering Listener Mail, covering the big news highlights, and providing "Weekly Roundups" of the news every Friday.

The Cracked Podcast

My husband introduced me to the Cracked Podcast when we first started dating and I really liked the variety of topics, the research put into each episode and the splash of humor mixed in. The Cracked Podcast is hosted by Jack O'Brien, Editor and Chief of the Cracked Website, and includes guest writers on the podcast who share their research related to the Podcast's topic of the day. My favorite episodes feature Jason Parjn, who writes as David Wong.  Recently the format of this podcast has shifted to include more "live broadcasts" in front of an audience and include a panel and comedians and writers. I find the ratio of bullshit to interesting things in the live broadcast episodes leans heavily towards the bullshit end of the spectrum and I quickly turn off those episodes.

The Sporkful

The newest addition to my Podcast playlist. As the Podcast itself explains, "it's not for foodies, its for eaters". The podcast talks about food to learn more about people. Lets face it, there is one thing that we all have in common, and that is that we all eat. So what better way to connect than discussions surrounding foods from many different cultures and our own experiences with new foods. This podcast covers a variety of topics and has recently done a few series addressing the relationships between food and race, such as the "Other people's food" series and the "Who is this Restaurant For?" series. I would suggest anyone who eats to give this podcast a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment