Friday, October 21, 2016

Dat Mom Strength, Tho

When you become a mother, your life changes.  That's obvious.  What I didn't expect was the strength I'd gain as a result of being a mom.  Moms are SUPER strong.  I realized this phenomenon about 20 weeks into my pregnancy when I held my little nephew (friend nephew) for the first time in a while and he was HEAVY.  His mom was carting him around like it was NBD.  I was like, "What?!  I'm going to have to start lifting weights!"

False- you don't have to lift weights.  Carrying a baby around is *child's play* compared to the kind of strength I later found out you need to be a mom.

The morning after I gave birth to my gorgeous, healthy, apgar-score of 9.5 baby girl, I learned that a pregnant woman I had recently befriended and was due the same week I was... had lost her baby.  Suddenly, my bliss was shattered in heartbreak for this woman.  I couldn't help but look at my shockingly blessed life and wonder "what gives me the right?"  I was wracked with guilt and began living my life in a state of paranoia - "Will I lose my baby?"  Following some postpartum scary health symptoms of my own, I began to wonder, "Will my baby lose me?" "If my baby or I fall asleep tonight, will we wake up?"

Cue something approaching a mental break - something approaching an existential crisis.  Scratch that.  I just Google'd it, and it was an actual existential crisis.  Death was constantly on my mind.  The truth or myth of an afterlife was something I meditated on daily.  The very existence or purpose of my life was called into question.  What is life?  What is death?  Who is God?  If I die tonight, will I go to heaven? If my baby dies tonight, what will happen to her... or to me?

I mean, it got to the point that I was having full-blown panic attacks.  Literally.  My doctor sent me to a psychiatrist.

At this point, I feel like the Holy Spirit came to me and said, "Do you have faith?" and I said, "Do I?"
In Sunday School I learned that faith is putting your belief and trust into something that you can't prove.  I put faith into things all the time - I have faith that if I get on the train in the morning, it will get me to my office *mostly* unharmed.  There are a ton of examples, but the most important implementation of faith is ... saving faith.  Do I have the kind of faith that will get me into heaven if I die in my sleep tonight?

To that, Holy Spirit said "Do you know me?"  I said "yes?" And then He said "Let me take care of your life."

And then I realized that God is good.  All the time.  God is good when he blesses me with a loving family and a beautiful child, and He's still good even if they are taken from me.  There are things in my life I simply cannot control - whether I live or die, whether my child lives or dies.  I must have faith that God is good no matter the path my life takes, and that He is worthy to be in charge.

And that is how I started being able to go to sleep at night.

So yeah, anyway - I can also do actual push ups for the first time in my life, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment